How to Setup & Give Access to Google Analytics
One of the great ways to monitor traffic to your site and allow me to help you with your SEO needs is to setup tracking on Google Analytics. The instructions below will allow you to setup your site in Google Analytics and give me access so that I can add the tracking information to your site and then review and monitor the results!
The information and benefits on Analytics are here: Google Analytics Overview
The original instructions from google are here: Google Analytics Setup
Step by Step to Setup Google Analytics
I’ve adjusted to only the minimal that you need to complete.
- Create a new Analytics account if you do not have one. Visit google.com/analytics, click the Sign in to Analytics button (top right), and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Set up a property in the account you have created.
- Sign in to your Analytics account.
- Select the Admin tab.
- In the ACCOUNT column, use the dropdown menu to select the account to which you want to add the property.
If you have a lot of accounts, use the search box to help you find the right one.
- In the PROPERTY column, select Create new property from the dropdown menu.
If you don’t have Edit permission on the account, you won’t see the Create new property option. Check that you’ve selected the correct account in the ACCOUNT column.
- Select Website.
- Enter the Website.
- (Web only) Enter the Web Site URL.
You cannot create a property if your URL isn’t formatted correctly.
Select the protocol standard (http:// or https://). Enter the domain name, without any characters following the name, including a trailing slash (www.example.com, not www.example.com/).
Select an Industry Category.
- Select the Reporting Time Zone.
This will be used as the day boundary for your reports, regardless of where the data originates.
The time zone setting affects how data appears in your reports. For example, if you choose United States, Pacific Time, then the beginning and end of each day is calculated based on Pacific Time, regardless of whether the sessions are detected from New York, London, or Moscow.
- Click Get Tracking ID.
Your property is created after you click this button. I will add the tracking code to your website for you.
- Add me as a User for the Property you have created.
- Select the Admin tab and navigate to the desired account/property/view.
- In the ACCOUNT, PROPERTY, or VIEW column (depending upon whether you want to add the user at the account, property, or view level), click User Management.
- Under Add permissions for, enter the email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the user.
- Select the permissions to be ‘Manage Users’ or at a minimum ‘Edit’. Learn more about permissions.
- Select Notify this user by email to send a notification to each user you’re adding.
- Click Add.
That should do it!