Move Favorites or Bookmarks to New Computer in Microsoft Edge
Have you tried moving bookmarks from an existing Microsoft based computer to a new one that uses Microsoft Edge? It’s not as easy as you would think! I was assisting my mother-in-law remotely yesterday in setting up her new computer. The motherboard had died in the previous computer, so she had Geek Squad transfer the data to the new computer. All they did was transfer it a directory on her desktop! 🙁 So, I set about moving the data where it belonged. Data, Music, Pictures… That was easy! Then came the favorites from Internet Explorer! Easy, I thought. Just look up the location they are stored in Microsoft Edge and move them there and be done. Sound easy? Nope, not at all. After reading many articles on the web, I discovered that you would have to do the following:
- Move the Favorites to %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites
- Update a Registry entry to clear a switch for the favorites in Edge so that it would rebuild it’s database (multi step process…)
After 3 times of trying to run RegEdit, I gave up that route and went down a much simpler path.
First, if you can export your bookmarks in XML, then it’s much easier, but alas, Geek Squad didn’t do that. I just had the raw bookmarks to deal with. Here’s the new and improved user friendly solution to getting favorites/bookmarks moved to your new computer.
- Download Firefox at http://www.firefox.com
- Open the BookMark Editor in Firefox
- Open File Explorer/Windows Explorer
- Drag your bookmarks from File Explorer into the Editor under the Folder where you would like them
- Note: If you have folders, you will need to manually create the folders in Firefox and then drag the edge favorites folder by folder
- Close Microsoft Edge if you have it open
- Open Microsoft Edge
- Go to the Bookmark Settings
- Select Firefox under Import from Other Browsers
- Boom! Now you have your favorites in both Firefox and Edge